Feeling low or sad sometimes is absolutely normal, but feeling that consistently is not. This condition has been medically termed as Depression. Depression has been characterized with feeling of lonely, less confident and sadness.
Most common causes of depression are:
- Reaction to some certain events in life
- Due to some psychiatric or non-psychiatric medical conditions
- Due to side effects of drugs or a particular medical treatment
- Scarred, neglected, or abused childhood
- Family history
Patients of depression have problems in remembering things, concentrating, making decisions etc. Some people lose their appetite while others start eating more. Many people even commit suicide in depression.
Patients of depression should get medical help as soon as possible. Only medical treatment can help them in living happy and healthy life.
Some of the most common symptoms of depression are:
- Feeling sad, restless or hopeless
- Feeling irritated about everything
- Felling alone and hurt
- Problems in concentrating or sleeping
- No interest in any activity
- Aches in many body parts
- Fatigue and loss of energy
To diagnose depression, doctors may ask various questions from the patient. They talk about about behavior, recent events, moods etc. with the patient. In addition to that, blood and lab tests may also be conducted.
In diagnosis, symptoms shown by patient in last few weeks are identified. Some common symptoms are:
- Loss of energy and weakness
- Difficulties in sleeping or excessive sleeping
- Facing problems in making decisions or in concentrating
- Major weight gain or loss in few days
- Lost interest in daily or fun activities
- Planning, attempting or constantly thinking about suicide
For different types of depression disorders, there are different treatments. While some disorders are treated by psychotherapy or with medicines, there are others that need both.
Antidepressants like TCAs, SSRIs, SNRIs, and MAOIs are given by doctors to lift patient’s mood.
In psychotherapy, several types of activities, counseling etc., are included. Counseling helps people in evaluating their problems while activities help them in recovering.
At Middle Country Medical Care, we provide treatment for various disorders related to depression. Those who are fighting with depression must contact us for help.
There is no certain way to stop depression. However, exercising, properly sleep, and support from family and friends help a lot.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder Treatment
There are times in everyone’s life when they feel anxiety, whereas some people deal with it every day. Difficulties in concentrating, and feeling anxiety can be the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). In United States, approximately 4 million people suffer from GAD every year.
Symptoms and causes
It is believed that GAD is caused by genetic, biological, environmental and lifestyle reasons. Its symptoms are:
- Irritability and agitation
- Trouble in concentrating, sleeping
- Headaches, aches and pains
- Hot flashes
- Nausea and lightheadedness
- Sweating and restlessness
To diagnose GAD, doctors ask questions and review patient’s medical history. For the GAD diagnosis, a patient must have experienced these symptoms-
- Feeling anxiety constantly for few months
- Disturbed daily routine due to restlessness
- Feeling anxiety for no reason
- Children - feeling restlessness, irritation, difficulty in sleeping or concentrating
For treatment of GAD, psychotherapy and medicines are used. Sessions with mental health specialists and counseling help in tackling the problem properly. Antidepressants or benzodiazepines help GAD patients in controlling their mental health.
You can only prevent it, if you know about it. Other than that, proper sleep, and regular exercising helps.
If you are a GAD, contact us. We can help you get rid of the anxiety, and live a healthy life.